July 4, 2010

Café Café Dress

First post, first design, I’m so excited…
But first, let me introduce myself. My name is Yael Schiller. I studied Visual Communication and for many years worked as an album cover and album packaging designer. I guess you could say I have breathed shape and color ever since I can remember. In the past two years my career has taken on a change, and today I design cloths. During this period I have learned and gained experience, and in this blog I will present the fruit of my designs - each week a new design.

Designing and manufacturing each design involves much work. The process of designing, looking for the right materials and manufacturing a top quality item, requires a lot of time, energy and dedication. In this blog I want to share with you a part of my work process, from sketch to final product.

The first design is called 'Café Café'. My inspiration for this design came from the material itself. I bought viscose fabric with a degrade pattern and my mind immediately started working. According to the direction of the fabric, the color change in the dress should have been sideways and not long wise, as in my design. I chose to cut across the fabric, then flip one of the pieces and reattach the fabric back together. A thin fine rubber strap sews the upper part and the bottom part of the dress together.
I designed a belt to conceal the rubber strap and emphasize the waist.
The belt also makes use of the fabric’s color change.

Model Dress: Café Café

No comments: